Friday, December 14, 2007

Where do I belong on the “Offend-o-meter”?

Dennis’ Happiness Hour today was on one of my very favorite topics: I’ll admit it, I’m a recovering Offendee, and that is in spite of my honest-to-goodness feeling that I’m not terribly sensitive.

In an effort to check my recovery, I will tell you what happened the other evening and then ask you to vote on where you think I belong on the Offend-o-Meter. A high rating means Dennis would say I went overboard in being offended in this situation and a low rating means I handled the situation well, non-offensively speaking. If you think “offended” doesn’t fit this scenario, you can say that, too.

I entered the auditorium at a local college and looked for a good seat from where I could reasonably see all the performers on the stage; I didn’t want to sit behind a pole or since I’m short, behind a tall person. I’m trying to curb my bad habit of taking an aisle seat, even when the row is empty, so I selected a middle section row and a seat that was two-or-three from the aisle and next to another couple.

I reached to pull the seat bottom down and heard a voice, “You have the whole auditorium to pick from and you choose here.” I looked around and a woman in the seat directly behind mine was looking at me.

I said, “Did you say what I think you said”?

She said, “Yes.”

“Did you really mean that”?

She said, “YES.”

__________________________________________
Now, please take the “What should Dianne do next?” poll on the right-hand column. Thanks!

Then you can go to my blog to see what really happened and then you can tell me what you think.

If you have had a similar experience to relate and are looking for judgment from your Prager Peers, go for it!

2 comments:

  1. No big hair. Oversized ego perhaps. My son keeps reminding me that Wayne Dyer says, "There are no justified resentments," but I tend to forget that in the heat of battle.

    ReplyDelete